Looking at the genius xkcd comic Gravity Wells
got me thinking about the extreme sports of the future.
Mars' moon Deimos' escape velocity
is only about 20 km/h (12mph) and can be escaped using a bicycle and a ramp.
Mars' other moon Phobos has a slightly stronger gravitational pull with an escape velocity of about 40 km/h (25mph).
We have pretty much exhausted the possibilities of extreme sports that can be done here on earth (a.k.a. "stupid shit") so what is the only possible evolution for the X Games of 2030? That's right: outer space.
Here are my suggestions:
- Low gravity bike/roller blade/skateboard jumps on Deimos.
- Synchronized space floating (like synchronized swimming but with a bunch of people with oxygen masks jump out of spaceship orbiting Phobos).
- Space diving. Like sky diving but from outer space. This can be done on earth.
- Low gravity pole vaulting. Someone like Sergey Bubka can possible clear a bar that is miles-high on Deimos.
- Motorcycle jumping over craters on Phobos.
I am really looking forward to it all.
Want to join me as partner in a cool new startup?
Get in touch: pasha at cohai dot co